Monday, March 22, 2010

Thoughts ...at Night

It was Sunday. And I love Sunday. I got up at 7:50. I could hardly believe it. My body just woke up because it was all done sleeping. My alarm was set for 8:10, so I just lounged in bed reviewing the dreams of the previous night until the alarm sounded.

I love church at 9:00am. That means I can have a Sunday morning feel at church, have a complete Sunday afternoon, along with a nap if I feel like it, and an evening for doing whatever socializing, reading, or other-ing I feel like doing. It's the perfect schedule for the best day of the week.

I read an article in the National Geographic Adventures magazine while I was at the gym last week. The guy featured in the article has traveled the world to study the areas where people live the longest, healthiest lives. He's written a book about it, but who needs to read it when they summarized his findings in the article? Anyhow, his list is almost perfect outline of the LDS lifestyle with one anomaly: drink one glass of wine a day.

I don't recall all his tips, but they included eating habits, the type of people you surround yourself with, having a sense of purpose in life, having a belief system or religion as part of your life, and taking one day of the week to rest.

Awesome. The gospel we live makes sense in so many ways. Live it, and maybe chug a glass of grape juice now and then.

Switching gears, I'm gonna wrap this up with a quote I love. I read it again today for the first time in a long time. It's by Neal A. Maxwell. I miss his talks and his spirit. I used to thrive on devouring his latest conference talk over and over. Here's the quote.

"The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar. The many other things we 'give,' … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us. However, when you and I finally submit ourselves, by letting our individual wills be swallowed up in God's will, then we are really giving something to Him! It is the only possession which is truly ours to give!"

This is one of those quotes that helps set me straight from time to time. It helps me remember that I'm a child. I'm ultimately here to do what Dad wants me to do, not always what I want to do. And wouldn't you know, Dad knows best. His way always leads to happiness.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I went up to Mom and Dad's last night, and Dad was watching season one of "Father Knows Best."

Maybe you guys were on the same sort of wave length.