Monday, February 14, 2011

What a World, What a World!


Blogging has not been a huge priority for me for quite a while.
Life has kept me hopping. So I need to take some time to update.

I'm warning you, this is gonna be random. You've been warned.

I once harbored hatred for all things anime. It was a genre that I couldn't connect with and an animation style that made me want to lash out irrationally at household objects. I really couldn't stomach it and so I never thought I'd be caught dead watching it (dead? watching? quite a feat in and of itself).

Then I saw Avatar: the last airbender.
I was staying in a hotel room in Denver. My friend Patrick was flipping channels and stopped on Nickelodean.
"Oh, sweet! It's Avatar! Do you watch this?"
I was shocked. Patrick didn't strike me as the anime type.
"No, it doesn't really seem like the type of show I'd get into."
"That's what I thought at first, but I think you'd be surprised with this show."

So I watched an episode with Patrick.
That did it. It was anime and I actually liked it. It was clever, funny, and very well-designed.
Now, I'm nearing the end of Season 2. I admit it, I love it. It's totally anime, and I'm loving it.
Moral to this story: Never say never. Unless you're using it to say that phrase.

Shift. New topic. The weather.
I opted out of Idaho for a more mild climate and I have fallen in love with my home state all over again.
The coldest days here have been in the 40s, and those were rare. Today was almost 80 degrees. I have to feel sorry for the poor people in Rexburg.
I'm not a snow-bird. I just have to go north for school. After that, I want to come back to Arizona and never ever leave. I know some of you are thinking "wait 'til summer hits". I know. I can't wait! Swimming, barbecues, monsoons, ahh. There's nothing not to like about this place.

Next topic: bachelor status.
I'm usually pretty good-natured about other people and their dating suggestions, but after a few years, it starts to wear on a person.
I meet a new person. They hear I'm a bachelor. Then it starts.
"I hardly know this guy, but he's single, and I can fix that!"

Please, I beg you, spare me. I know you have the most noble intention. Let me explain something to you. SO DOES EVERY OTHER PERSON & THEIR WELL-MEANING GRANDMOTHER!!! Excuse me for saying it, but DANG!!! (and I'm thinking the other word)
I used to entertain those suggestions out of courtesy. But the patience account is officially overdrawn at that bank and all I can offer is a frank, honest answer. I hate being set-up. I make my own choice. Period. I'm not desperate, I'm not reclusive. I'm a bachelor. I do hope to change that in the future. For myself, all on my own. I just had to say that.
Thank you to those of you who inherently seem to get that concept. I appreciate it more than you know.

Whew! Next topic: dogs.
I was never a dog person. I hated the dogs that chased me on my way to school in grade school. I hated the idea of dog breath, drool, shedding, and poop on the lawn.
Something changed. I met Rarri & Kaci, my brother's dogs. They're Italian Greyhounds and I love those little stinkers!
I could have a dog someday. A good dog. I could. What do you think of that?

That's all I've got for now. Until next time, ...go catch a chicken.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

How's this for random? I was doing dishes yesterday and the line "Go... catch a chicken" ran through my head and I thought of you.

Great post. Next time include pictures of the dogs and well-meaning strangers. Pwease.

Wendy said...

I am the SAME way with getting set up on dates...I hate it! My theory as to why is because neither one of us have invested into the date: Taking the initiative. So we both have a passive, lazy attitude about it. None of those blind dates have turned into a second date

Cat said...

Welcome back Steven! I have missed your random thoughts. I was so happy to find you had a new post today. I got the "skinny" on how you got home...you're brave or krazy or maybe you were desperate (haha). Glad to have you back in town:)