Friday, March 8, 2013

Man's Search for Work

I'm very busy for a person who doesn't have employment. I sometimes marvel at people who claim they're bored. I sometimes feel as though I'd like some company, a change of scenery, or maybe a more exciting routine, but being bored? How does that happen? Maybe that's mainly due to my mindset -my eyes are wide open and I'm surrounded by stimuli to keep ideas brewing. I don't have a job, or school, but there still aren't enough hours in the day.

I've spent a lot of time on job searching and I've learned quite a lot.

Here are a few thoughts:

1) I have absolutely relied on one website for invaluable insights and guidance. This site would shock the pants off of you. I'm now a die-hard follower. The site? artofmanliness.com. If you've never looked over this site, I'd urge you to do so. But I won't twist your arm. Just know that if you don't recognize a good thing when you see it, you probably don't merit having it.
They've offered incredible insights into résumé creation/improvement, job-searching guidance, and a lot of motivation.

2) A résumé is not at all what most people think it is. My views have really evolved. A résumé involves digging deep, self-evaluation, strategy, prayer, guidance, revision, and lots of polishing. I'm still hammering away at mine. It looks awful pretty, and I'm proud of that fact. But the strategy and revision is in full sway. I've found incredible help and guidance (being pointed in the right direction by the Art of Manliness blog) in résumé writing and almost feel qualified to write résumés professionally.

3) A job search should be approached more like an adventurous treasure quest or a big game hunting expedition. It should be full of self-assertion, struggle, sweat, adventure, boldness, learning, taking initiative, and stepping forward. It is not enough to sit behind a desk, press a few buttons, and wait: that may work out all right for a less-glamorous pursuit. But if you're serious about a real career, you shouldn't be waiting on others to reach out to you with an opportunity, no matter how glitzy your credentials look. You should engage in the hunt, show people who you are, and how capable you are. Represent. Stand up, go to it, be a man. (Or a woman ...the Art of Manliness blog is rubbing off on me.)

4) Make the most of your current situation. You may not be entirely happy about your situation. You may be secretly planning an escape from it each and every night you lay down to sleep. You may get urges to abandon everything and hit the road penniless simply to embrace what adventures lay outside your present sphere.
It was my goal, upon finishing up school in December, to have landed a job by the end of January. It almost happened. I had an interview for a great job that I really wanted, but the position was granted to someone with a Masters degree. And here I am, early March, still camped out in my parents' basement. BUT I've been able to spend time with family, sort out a lot of my personal belongings, brush up the résumé (over and over ...and over again), and get into the absolute best shape of my life. I'm definitely looking forward to a change and to gainful employment. But life will all too soon rob me of the pleasant things that surround me at present: my mother's voice, the sound of my Dad's boots on the kitchen tile, the smiles and laughs of nieces and nephews, and all the rest of the bliss I'm surrounded by. No matter what stage of life you're in, cherish the good things. Don't wish them away because you're so focused on something else.

That's about all of the wisdom from this chapter of my life.
Ever need help with a résumé? Don't call me. Go check out artofmanliness.com first. I'd be happy to look over your polished résumé once you've taken their advice.

No comments: