Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Once Was Lost

I found myself at work today. A man came through my line and handed me his membership card. The name on the card read: Steven Hansen (double take).
"Hey," I observed, "we have the same name."
To which he, the other Steven, replied, "Oh yeah," just humoring me, I'm sure. I'll bet he was thinking, "Big deal. I meet a dozen Stevens every day. You're so observant. Now shut up and let's get on with the check-out."
I continued, "Last name too. Spelled just like that."
Now this was a point of interest, and the conversation started.
"Same name, but we live in different places. I was raised in Tucson, but now I live in the Far East."
He told me that he and some friends were headed to the Grand Canyon for a field-trip.
We continued to chat as I finished ringing up his items.
Then, before leaving he said, "Well, it's not often that you meet someone with your name. Here."
He gave me a business card.
It reads:

Steve Hansen
Wireline Geology Domain Champion

18th Floor, Rohas Perkasa
No. 8. Jalan Perak
50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
etc.

Not only does he share my name, he's a Geologist.
"Geology." I noted. "That's my major!"
"Well, the group I'm hiking the canyon with is a group of about 20 Geologists."
We were both sort of baffled. He left before any more uncanny similarities could completely unhinge our psyches.
So now I'm found. Twice.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That is so amazing! What are the odds? And now you can send Christmas cards to him!