Friday, May 23, 2008

More of Me


Lately I've sort of pinned down some of the things I really like. Not that i didn't know, but you know when you're out for a walk and you start thinking to yourself and you start having little epiphanies?

I guess preferences change over the years for people, and that's definitely true for me, but there are some things that I like that I never stop liking, things that I actually like more as time goes by.

-Poetry: it's a very nerdy confession, but for some reason I really like good poetry. I'm not talking about a story forced into the form of a rhyme scheme, I'm talking the puzzling and rich literary stuff that makes more sense when you dig into it: Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Shakespeare's sonnets, etc.

-Word Puzzles: I really like cross-word puzzles. Like poetry, word-play and puzzles fascinate me for some reason. I don't like the easy cross-words, or the ones that nobody -I mean, not even Professors at Yale could complete. I like the ones that are just challenging enough to keep you grippingly enthralled until you finish it. There is a puzzle published daily in the AZ Republic, that is perfect. I get the biggest thrill out of it. I'll go buy a paper sometimes specifically for the puzzle. Hang the comics and Sudoku; I'll have my puzzle. Is it any wonder that I really like word-themed games like Scrabble and Balderdash?

-Learning: I've spent nearly a year out of school, and I have this sort of stale feeling. I can't stand not learning and developing. My mind hates it! In response, I've really been doing some self-motivated study. I've gathered together some Spanish Vocab books and publications, and I've been working a lot on Spanish lately. I'm lucky to have friends who speak it fluently that help me out here and there. I've started to think in Spanish phrases at times, so I think I'm headed in the right direction. I can understand it conversationally well enough, but speaking is another story. I'm really looking forward to getting back to school in the fall (please remind me of this when I start to stress over homework again). I find learning and education so refreshing.

-Italian Soda: This is a more recent discovery, and probably more of an occasional guilty pleasure than a real habitual love. The flavors are so fresh and exotic -something new and different. But the fact that it is imported from Europe makes it all the more alluring. I've sort of weaned myself away from all soda drinks, generally. But on the odd occasion, (such as holidays and parties) I'll have a glass to keep myself from thinking that carbonation is the Devil's frothy elixir. I know I feel so much better when I stay away from it, and my teeth can testify to the benefits.

-Classic Disney: There are those I deem Masterpieces. They are timeless. They envelope meritous artwork, laudable character design, timeless musical scores, and incomparable wit: Robin Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Pocahontas, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, The Jungle Book, ...there are more, but as a guy, I don't really feel I need to go on. Does anybody else sort of give a wince of pain each time they see that another Computer Animated film has been released? I really have to have a firm recommendation from someone whose taste I trust before I just shrug them off as not worth seeing. The more I see of the 3-D Computer renderred stuff, the more I think that it's more of a regression than progression. I think it more akin to clay-mation and take it about as seriously.
There is an element of charm that comes in no other way than old time-honored animated characters. I think it appeals more to the imagination. I sort of want to hoard up all these classics and make sure my kids are able to experience them. Whether you think it's sad or not, there won't ever be a copy of Toy Story in my home. Why settle?

So there you have it. I'm a geek/Disney lovin' kid deep down inside. And still, I'm expected to vote and pay taxes and stuff.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Speaking of Disney, did mom show you her scrapbook pages of when we went to Disneyland? We looked cool.

Steve said...

I look at those pictures and wonder what I was thinking -that hair? And the Looney Toons shirt? Yuck.