Monday, June 2, 2008

Change

Change keeps life fresh and interesting, but it sure can be stressful and exhausting. I just changed apartments. I'm living in the same complex, just at the opposite end.
I thought I would be saving money in the new place, but as it turns out, I'm paying exactly the same rate.
It was a pretty unpleasant surprise, what I encountered in the situation I had moved into: the walls in the room were covered in crayon grafitti (apparently, the former tenants were the victims of a prank they chose not to clean up), one of the roommates left half of his junk behind for when he returns in the fall, everything was covered in dust and grime, and the bathroom was unspeakable.
Maybe it was just my upbringing, but I cannot live in filth. I've encountered several people that can, but I just can't. I spent three hours after work one evening deep-cleaning and sanitizing. After that, things became a lot more comfortable. The walls were clean and white, the bathtub actually turned white with a bit of scrubbing, and the whole place became a whole lot less ghetto. After going through all that, I felt like going for a jog to unwind. I went for a jog, rented a movie, and relaxed the rest of the night.
Now I feel alright about living here for the next two months, until I pack up and move again -this time, to Joseph City for a month, and then up to Rexburg. Change, change, change. After a year of life in Flagstaff, I'm so ready for it.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Three hours of deep cleaning?! And then you went for a jog? You're a champ. How do you do it? A special enegery drink? A pill? What is it?!

Steve said...

Well, the whole time I was cleaning, I was getting more and more worked-up, and by the time I was done, I was so ready to just tackle anything. So I decided on a more positive release, a jog. I guess it had a similar effect of an energy drink -that's why they're called names like, "Monster" and "Rockstar".

strongmom said...

Steven,
You're the man. Come clean our houses, we don't like living in filth either,yet still can't seem to keep up with everything, kids, hair, make-up.. . . we're excited you've made the responsible move to Joe City.
Love,
your aunties