Friday, April 1, 2011

Lately


Lately, I haven't blogged a whole lot. You know this, but it needs to be stated to lead into my next thought. I've been having a great time staying busy with other things that I want to do. When you're given 4 months off school, you really should maximize it's usefulness and not squander it on things like blogging. There's some wisdom for you.

Lately, I've been busting my butt trying to develop good habits for staying fit. I'm happy to report that it is paying off.
I want to share my goals with you because it will help me keep motivated if I tell you.

But first, why the sudden urge to reform? That's a very good question and I'm glad you asked it. It started with looking at my Vegas pictures.

Now I don't think I look humongous, but I know I can do better. That really was my wake-up call.

I had spent the first few weeks in Queen Creek working with my brother, eating fast food 2-3 times a day and consuming more Coca Cola than I normally would in an average year (and loving every minute of it, I might add).
That, my dear children, is called "gluttony" and too much of it makes you feel like total ca-ca.

I was also inspired by the efforts of my Uncle Tom who we visited out in California. He's really good at sticking to his diet and it is paying off.

I think back to a day when I was (yet again) being screened to donate plasma. The first thing they do is check your weight.
I'd been very consistent with my exercise routine and eating pretty healthy.
I stepped on the scale and something magical happened: the computer noticed my significant weight loss.
I then had to give them a reason for the weight loss.
I was proud to say "diet & exercise". The worker beamed at me as if to say "You go, Glen Coco!"

I loved that sense of accomplishment, but I loved even more my feeling of wellness. Life is too short to go through it feeling like your body is a sack of garbage.

Lesson: no food on earth tastes as good as being healthy feels.
My friend Perla disagrees, but I stand by this saying.

Here's what I'm doing:
No soda EVER.
No fried food. I was going to say "no fast food" but I want to be realistic. Just exercise control. There are a lot of good options on today's menus (value salad?). Just make smart choices and control your portions.
Avoid the sweets like they're Satan's candy. I think portions are a biggy here too. I've been turning to frozen grapes whenever I get the craving for sweets, and I'm totally hooked.

Eat smaller meals and snack throughout the day.
One of my newfound favorites is lettuce wraps.
I use the green leafy lettuce, some chicken or turkey for lean protien, wrap it up and dip it in a side of dressing.
I add a side of celery sticks and usually finish with a handful of frozen grapes or some other fruit.
I would've never thought it, but I LOVE this meal!

So I combine those dietary goals with a fitness plan (which changes from week to week, as long as I stay active) and that's it!

I've got the P90X videos coming in the mail. I've been doing the workouts with my friend Perla and they totally ROCK!
My favorite is the Yoga. Yes, it's true. I'm really amazed at the improved definition in my muscles, hence my decision to buy the program.

So Tony Horton is my new trainer.

Not to be confused with Tony Perkis.

Or Tim Hortons, the Canadian Donut Emporium.


I'm sticking to it! I'll have to adapt my plan to my school schedule when I reach that point, but I'm feeling really confident about sticking with it since I already have an awesome head-start. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Stormis said...

P90X Yoga is hard!!! Good for you Steve! I have P90X. I should really consider using it sometime :) Maybe I will just let Tony Perkis train me instead....Heavyweights here I come!

Steve said...

Stormy, Perkisizing is dangerous. But it will get you results. Just no cheating on that diet. And they don't have go-karts or "the blob" anymore.
PS: those frozen grapes, YUMM.

Anonymous said...

nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

overweight.

obviously sister wingate never tried toungue tacos. so tastis.