Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Long-Expected Purchase


Today, I did something that I've been meaning to do for about five years. I bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD. All three movies, the extended editions.

I was thinking to myself, "I've put this off for far too long."

I love those movies. They are epic. They are at the very top of my list of favorites. So why don't I own them? Two factors: availability and frugality.

I try to limit my spending. If I bought every movie I loved, I'd have no groceries and DVD covers don't taste good. It may be different if the movies were on the rack at Walmart. But they aren't. I know. I check. Nearly every week. If they were available, I may have bought them.

There was a time when they were available, some years back. But at the time, my frugality still won out. I thought to myself, I love those movies, but do I really need to fork out money for something I'll only watch occasionally?

It turns out that I get the urge to watch these more than occasionally. I find myself reviewing the stories and quotes in my mind all too often. They're the kind of movie I could cue up while I clean the kitchen or do homework. It's especially easy to think of Hobbits and elves and rangers when I'm out in the Hills hiking all day doing geology -out in the rocks, the mountains, the mines, the streams, the grassy hills, the sun, and the rain.

So now, I'll have my movies. They'll be mine. My own. My Precious!

1 comment:

Cat said...

We love the Lord of the Rings! Annelie & Nic used to run around barefoot @ the tree house playing "hobbits'es". We even have lord of the Rings trivial pursuit...I haven't watched it in a while, your post makes me want to watch it right now!