Friday, August 27, 2010

Concerning Blogging

Blogging has been very good for me. I think that there are some people who need to write. Just like other people need to go fishing. It's the activity that restores balance to their perspective, straightens the glasses on their nose through which they view life.

My blog has proven to be a source of entertainment, of help, and of good memories. I've referred back to it to obtain dates or photos or to even use bits of my entries for class projects. There are times when I just sit and read through old entries for hours. Am I that vain? I don't think that's it. I think it's healthy to review your personal history.

Lately, I've lost a little motivation. I have things to blog about, sure. But what's the point? Who am I writing to? If it's just for me, that's not quite enough. It's probably why I've never been able to do a real journal. I know I have at least a dozen regular readers, but only a few of them have an account to be able to leave comments. So for now, I guess the only thing driving me to keep on is the fact that I know it's preserving a personal history.

Here's my situation: I'm living in Rockland Apartments here in Rexburg. I'm not at all happy about it. Here's why: (Oh dang, I just noticed that I sound like I'm griping. Maybe I am, okay?)

The complex I was living in (Somerset) decided to let the school use ALL their apartment units for EFY kids. Seriously? Use student-housing? What about the GOSH DANG STUDENTS WHO LIVE THERE?!!! I had signed a 1-year contract so that I'd get the 7-week summer break rent-free. Well, when it came time, I found that the Rexburg Housing company was "not doing that promotion any more". Well, they were doing it when I signed, so I pretty much demanded that they honor it. After a few days and a couple of long phone calls to the main office, we got that worked out.

However, since Somerset was being used for EFY, all the current tenants had to relocate to some other complex for the break.

So, I had to fight to get the free contract I'd been promised, and now they're making me move to another place for seven weeks, just to move right back? I don't know if this sounds completely outrageous to anyone else, but that's how I feel. Outraged.

I've been pretty successful at just taking it in stride and going along with it, but I really want to complain about it to someone.

So after all that, I found out that Rockland wants us to do check-outs on the 3rd of September and check-ins at Somerset don't start until September 6th. So I thought I'd be looking for a place to stay and stow all my stuff for that weekend. I talked it over with my managers and they're going to let me check back into Somerset early. Even so, I've had it. I hate moving and they're making me do it twice for no good reason at all. I don't mind if the EFY kids stay there. I don't. But keep a few apartments for students to live in. Every time I deal with Rexburg Housing, I get the feeling that I'm dealing with a monopolized giant. They provide a commodity that students HAVE to use, since Rexburg is small and Student Approved housing is limited. They have no sense of care for customer satisfaction. If you've had a bad experience with them, they don't give a darn. There are hundreds of other students still in line looking for a place to stay.

I come from a place where you deal with people with a face and working ears and minds. You can talk things over with them. You can at least try and see eye to eye with them. You may not agree with them, but at least you can work things out. This is a large, impersonal company that thinks of people as lesser folk than cattle. I don't like that. After this semester, I'm going to get out of Rexburg Housing. My friend's parents own the Delta Phi apartments. I think I'll try and get a place there for next Spring Semester.

So there you have it. I think I should write a letter to the school paper. I know that my fellow students probably share my feelings.

For the past few days, I've just been whiling away my time here, doing a whole lot of nothing much: reading the Lord of the Rings, running, napping, going to the dollar theater. If I was already moved into my other place, I'd be fine with it. Right now, I feel like I've been stuck at an airport with all my luggage and I've got a layover of about 2 weeks.

I think that does it. All my gripes are out. Now I'm off to see Step Up 3D at the dollar theater. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Cat said...

hey Steven! I think you are very justified for feeling the way that you do. I'm glad you were able to get that out, don't you just feel better now? As for the lack of motivation to blog... I feel it too. I write down ideas but I always seem to find other things to do with my time. Mostly yard work, it's summer what can I say. It was fun to have you home for awhile, looking forward to you coming home again in a few months...I am envisioning you @ the piano in a Santa hat & Suzy Snowflake ringing the bells!

Steph said...

Amen! I have heard a number of students complain about Rexburg Housing. I never have rented from them, but can see the chaos it is. I have spent the last week moving as well, and ugh I don't like it at all either. If you need any help, holler. Hope everything else is going well for you!

Misty Richins said...

I am a regular reader, just so you know! I tote love your blog, I may not comment every time but I do read and enjoy every post! and the apartment situation is def outrageous.

Steve said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments. You all are the reason I keep blogging it up.
Stay with me. My posts are bound to get better, with my new-found motivation from you all.