Monday, August 30, 2010

Failure, Failure, Failure


If you've seen the old movie "The Shakiest Gun in the West" starring Don Knotts, you'll understand the title of this post. If not, better get it on that Netflix cue.

I realized that I spent nearly an entire month in Arizona and had only 1 blog post to show for it. (That's what I mean by "failure".) I mean, naturally I wouldn't stop my fun vacation time to sit and write about it all ...I'm not that devoted to my blog. But now that I'm comfortably settled into the apartment that I'll be in for the next few months, I've got no excuse not to write a bit about my adventures.

My visit to Arizona was jam-packed with time spent with friends and family, interspersed with geology expeditions that have really opened my eyes further into some details of the geology of my home state.

I really cherish time with my family and friends, and this living in Idaho has made that very challenging. As I contemplate my choice of where to continue my education beyond BYU-I, I've either got to be closer to home, or own a good road bike. So maybe I'm not the Harley type, but I could see myself on the right sort of motorcycle. Especially when gas prices are what they are.

One thing I'm looking forward to is my off-track. I've never had a real off-track since I spent my last one here in Rexburg working. So I'll be coming home for the Christmas Break and I'll be staying in Arizona until school starts again in April. That seems like a much better option than braving a full Idaho winter yet again.

Highlights of my trip home:

-a day with Seth, Aunty Julie, and Grandma.

-Sunday dinner at home with the regular crowd, Jim, Ju, Mom, Dad, and Ed.

-a road-trip with Julianne. So much fun! We took her car down to Thatcher, saw my friends Stormy and Spenser, and stayed and visited with the Morrises. David took me out on a geology expedition while we were there. It's always fun to collaborate with another geologist. We then headed over to Queen Creek area and stayed with Mike and Brittany. I love them. I miss them a lot. It seemed like our time with them flew by way too fast. Oh, and Rarri and Kaci. Can't forget them.

-seeing JC and Mari and their girls.

-Mommy and me swim lessons with Lacy and Trent, and seeing my other nieces there with Mari too. I wasn't a mommy, but I was me, so I was persuaded to help.

-exploring out east of town in the Chinle Fm. with two Paleontologists from the Petrified Forest. I also spent time looking around the Park with them. So neat.

-bailing hay. There's nothing that'll get you in touch with your small-town roots faster or better than sittin' up inside the cab of the John Deere and putting in some good work hours. I listened to the country station on the radio. About an hour into the job, I tried a different station, but it just didn't feel right. You can't bale hay to just any kind of music. It was awesome to be back on the farm doing some real work (in an air-conditioned cab).

-seeing Perla, Lori, Anders & Cindy, Devin, Becky

-Lord of the Rings marathon with Jay, Linz, Zach, Tammy, and Layne.

-cliff jumping at Clear Creek

That about does it. Don't feel left out if I haven't mentioned you. You fall under the "times spent with friends and family". If I mentioned all of you, I'd be here all night. It was a good trip. I can't wait to come back!

1 comment:

Cat said...

I think the day Seth spent with you 3 was a highlight of Seth's summer too! He loved going with Steben! Sheeby sheeby!