Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I got a text from my Bishop this morning. I love that he texts. 15 minutes later, I was in his office talking about a new calling. I'm the new Ward Mission Leader.

I'm not stressed by this call. I was just released as the Ward Mission Leader in my last ward, and I had a great experience with it. It's an exciting calling.

The most FAQ (frequently asked question) I get when I mention my calling is this:
"What does the ward mission leader do in Rexburg?"

We have precisely three non-LDS students among the thousands that attend our school. So in this setting, the ward mission leader's job is a little different.

My first priority is to help our future missionaries to prepare to serve missions. There are a lot of future missionaries in the wards here, so that means having an awesome mission prep class during the Sunday School block of choych (my roommate started pronouncing "church" that way, and it's kind of stuck). We also try to get the future missionaries out teaching. They prepare a lesson to teach, make an appointment with some ward members, and then go teach.

The other major part of the calling is seeking referrals. People can still give referrals of people they know even if they don't live in Rexburg. So it's my job to handle any referrals and send them to choych headquarters to be directed to their appropriate missions.

So that's that. I love being involved in the mission prep because it gets me thinking back to my mission and I get to relive some of those memories.

Now, I want to tell you about the coolest free apps I just got for my iPod touch.
The LDS scriptures. The Gospel Principles Manual. The LDS Hymns. The Primary Children's songbook. And I'm going to look for the Preach My Gospel manual app, given my new calling.

I also got a free app called Planets that shows a 3-D view of constellations and planets in the sky at your current location. It is AWESOME.

While I'm mentioning apps, I also got a movie Trivia one that keeps me entertained. I know that's not a Sunday themed app, (even the Planets app has to do with God's creations) but I could use it in an activity at FHE. So, there ya go.

This is really shaping up to be an awesome semester.

No comments: