Friday, January 9, 2009

Treacherous Paths


This semester, I've got a class that starts at 7:45 every morning, Monday through Friday. Oh, how this vexes me. I don't really mind waking up before te sun rises to get ready for the day. Nor do I mind the subject of the lecture I sit through for an hour. What really chafes my trousers is the fact that at 7:30am, the sidewalks are at their worst. During the day, snow melts and puddles. During the night, it all freezes. By the time I'm walking to class on it, there is just enough melted on top of the ice to make it nice and slick.
Thursday morning I fell at the exact location shown above. I was being careful, but trying to hurry to class at the same time. I slipped and fell to the right, catching my body with my right knee and ripping a large hole in the knee of my pants. A nearby girl came to my aid asking, "Are you all right?" and offering such kind suggestions as "Just take little steps" and "Be careful". I didn't really care that all the other people saw the whole thing, I was upset that my day started out that way. Holes in jeans are frowned on with an unforgiving cruelty at this school, but I had no other choice but to sit through that first lecture and walk home afterwards flaunting my unintentional rebellion.
So my pants are no good to me here anymore, my knee is a little tender, and the ice is still here. I think it would be more practical to skate to class.

3 comments:

Stormy and Spenser said...

Aw man Steve that stinks! But I must admit it makes me laugh to think that people saw you walking around and thought you were such a rebel! :) ha ha. ha ha ha.

Alicia said...

That reminds me of the time that I fell and ripped a hole in my jeans in front of some cute boys (I was single at the time). I remember it like it was yesterday. Outside the institute building at EAC. I tripped over a bike rack.

I don't have snow to blame. Just my own self.

Cheryl said...

Don't feel bad, we've all been there and done that! That's one of the reasons I hate the cold so much because of all the icy, slick walking areas!