Thursday, January 14, 2010

Just an Update


Sometimes I don't have anything really great in mind when I go to write a new post. So I end up just not posting, and that's really not fair to my readers now is it?
I have to remind myself that although you all love and care about me, you're not here in Rexburg to see all of the comings and goings and running arounds that I'm involved in.

Since coming back, I've been pretty focused on doing all the things I normally couldn't do because of the demands of homework deadlines and exams. These "things" include:

1. Going to the gym. A lot.
Over the Christmas Break, I was looking at some of our family pictures of Christmas when I was in High School.
My Senior year, I played football ...sort of. It was the only year I had played, so I didn't really grasp the technique of it all until near the end of the season, but who really cares about that? I had a lot of fun doing it, being a part of a team, and really slimming down quite a bit.
Back to the family pictures. One of the pictures from that year (Christmas of 1999) showed me with my siblings opening our presents. My brother Mike and I looked almost exactly alike in the picture! And he was as thin as (I'm going to create my own simile here) Ivin Lee! Three months of 5-days-a-week hard-core cardio work-out (AKA football practice) was really all it took. By the end of Football season, I weighed 183 lbs. Right now, I'm currently at 209 lbs. I've stayed at around 212 pretty steadily for the past year or so.
I guess that's not a bad weight for someone of my build, but I have a few little friends that I'd like to stop seeing: my love handles, my extra ab cushion ...
So I don't really have a weight goal. I have a goal to be consistent with my exercise routine and to eat healthier.
So far, I'm doing good. One of the toughest thing about it is that most social stuff involves food that I've sworn off -soda, sweets, fried food. One of my friends wanted to go out to Craigo's pizza buffet last night. I just had to say, "I can't". Going to a buffet would just kill the good thing I've got going, as much as I love the food there, and the good laughs we always have there. It's worth it though.
(Eyes on the prize, Steve. Eyes on the prize)

2. Reading. Wow. That first item got so lengthy, I almost forgot I was making a list. Yes, I've had time to read now and I love it: scriptures, books I love, new books, the news ...I usually never get to do much reading besides what I have to read for classes. Oh, how I've missed reading.

3. Music. I'm talking about sitting down at the piano and just playing for fun or strumming some things out on my Uke.

That's about it. I've come to realize that if I really wanted to, I could make time for all these things during the busy school semester. I just have to want it bad enough. So I hope to develop a routine so that when I start school again, I can stick with it.

Now, I'll tell you about my work. I work up to 20 hrs. per week for the Geology Dept.
I'm a Teacher's Assistant for two classes, Geochemistry and Science Foundations. I also take on any extra projects the department needs me to do. I also donate plasma twice a week, and that extra cash is really nice to have.

So now that you're all "in the know", I feel better. Stay sweet and I hope to have more exciting posts in the near future.

I'm catching a ride to Salt Lake City this weekend where I'll get to be with my family and some friends. That should be epic.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. I appreciate it!

We do like to know little things like this. And if you ever forget, I'm going to send you a shabby chic piece of wood that has been painted and distressed and covered in vinyl lettering that reads: It is the small things that matter most.

Your roommates will make fun of you and you will forever rue the day you forgot to keep us "in the know".

That's a promise.

Misty Richins said...

eSteven, I did not know you played the Uke :) Love it! And... these all sound like some great things to get reinvolved in! I completely understand getting behind on the things you love because of school and such being so demanding. I hear ya. Here's to you and your new semester focusing on things you want to do!

Steph said...

I too am working on some of the same things. Especially reading...a lot of times I don't allow myself time to just sit down and read. But plan on making more time for it because I love it.

Hope your weekend with your fam is great!

Steve said...

OK, Alicia. I'm holding you to that promise. My roommates are far too respectful of me to dare laugh. (Mr. Hansen is not to be teased)
That sign would look right at home next to the great one I got at DI. It says, "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

Yeah, Mistis. I UKE like you wouldn't believe. Thanks for your vote of confidence. I Mistis you!!!

Steph - thanks. I'm really looking forward to it!