Friday, August 8, 2008

Keeping my Word

I am posting a real post. I've got an hour, so here we go.
My travels have taken me all over Arizona and even into parts of Mexico. Rocky Point was a definite highlight.
My friend Anders was having his wedding reception on the 2nd in Ajo. Ajo is so small and isolated and so far south, that in planning the trip, the idea of making a day of it in Rocky Point emerged (MaryAnn, you genius). So we did it. Me, Tyler Clawson, MaryAnn Haws, and Katie Elliot piled into MaryAnn's car and left Mesa around 6:30am. At 10:30am we were in Rocky Point. We shopped around the marketplace, played at the beach, and had a blast.
We stopped at the "Super Val" in the actual town portion of Rocky Point, and bought some Mexican soda and fresh-made warm tortillas. The staff there didn't speak any English (as opposed to the street vendors down by the beach, who had it down pretty well) so I got to use my Spanish a bit. "Quiero doce tortillas por favor. No Puedo comprar solo doce?" And, "En dos bolsas, por favor." Then, at the checkout, "No puedo usar dolares Americano?" We managed just fine.

Here's a picture of mi amigo Carlos. He made me a bracelet with my name on it in under 5 minutes. I was impressed. I added the bracelet to my pile of souvenirs: $5 sunglasses and a Nacho Libre luchador mask (very cool).

So there's my very dry travelogue. Now I can feel better about having updated the blog.


No comments: