Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Free Write

I'm starting this post without knowing what I'm going to write about. You've been warned.

I hate deciding between two good things. This weekend, we have Monday and Tuesday off. A four-day weekend. SO, I had two options: stick around here, catch up on homework and see what mischeif I can get into, or go to Canada with my friend Crystal.

I want to go to Canada so badly. One day, but not this weekend.

Lately, I've caught the "vision of Bryce". I'm getting to be more out-going. It's interesting what happens once you open up to others. It gives them the go-ahead to be comfortable and open up to you. My own internal programming tells me when my comfort zone is being breached, but I'm learning to ignore it, because it completely unfounded. I really like people. Life is so much more interesting when you're not reserved. And so I'm determined to fight my own shyness -with dignity, always dignity.

My mouth is doing weird things. I got the left side fixed, and now the right side is super sensitive and starting to throb with pain now and then. I've had to take ibuprofen (which I never take, so it's super effective) before bed just to get to sleep. I'm hoping it's just after-shock from the whole root-canal operation. If not, my teeth are going to sink me. I can either pay the dentist and live like a bum without mula (but with nice teeth), or yank the teeth and keep the money. It's a tough choice.

Ask me about my ibuprofen and Phantom of the Opera story. It's a classic.

Three semesters back-to-back has really given a "sucker-punch" to my study habits. I'm a little over-schooled at this point, and I'm starting to not care about stuff. This is not a good sign. I don't really know a remedy other than self-discipline. But golly, it's taking everything I've got right now.

At this moment, I've had "Over the Hedge" playing as I write. Do I have homework to do? Maybe. Ok, yes. But it's for my technical writing class and I love putting that off to the last minute. It makes the assignments seem all the more challenging. Oh, who am I trying to kid? I've got a procrastination problem, and I don't know what to do about it. I'll get back to you on that one later.

Know what I really want right now? A bonfire at the badlands. I want to come home smelling like smoke. I want to play with my nieces and nephew and chat with my siblings and mom and dad. I want to drive up Baird Lane and smell the honeysuckle vine blooming. And on Sunday evening, I want to go to Grandma's for ice-cream, even though I can't eat it. Can you blame me?

2 comments:

Cat said...

Never put off fixing your teeth Steven. It isn't cheap but in my experience bad teeth never make a good impression. You come from a family with two dentists! You can't go around with bad teeth! About that bonfire at the badlands, when are you coming home? I never eat the ice cream either, not for health reasons but for "waist" reasons, but just sitting around talking & laughing & sharing memories, that's the best. I always love to hear Grandma tell a good story. I love to ask her about her "broken" wrist. It makes me laugh every time.

Alicia said...

It really is the perfect time to visit Joseph City. And today it's overcast. All I want to do is walk around the neighborhood all day. A bonfire should be in order. We need to have a good-sized party this summer before you and Ju leave us. I love Joseph City summers. When Ju brings my camera back, I'll be sure to take some pictures of Joseph City for you to look at.