Friday, May 22, 2009

The Second Round


The good Doctor Snarr and his assistant Genie had me in for x-rays today.
I have a jealous mouth. The lower left bicuspid had a root canal and now the matching one on the lower right wants one too. I've caught this one before it gets nasty and painful and, after today's procedure, it can wait a few months before I get the root canal done. Today they went in and cleaned out the decay, medicated it and put in a temporary filling.

Well, they only gave me one shot. And I didn't get the laughing gas. That was probably the most painful experience I've ever had at the dentist. They kept having to stop and give me subsequent shots. But I'm still alive, and now my mouth and tongue are good and numb -more numb than I've ever experienced it. You should've seen me at the drinking fountain today. Water was squirting out of my mouth everywhere. It even made me laugh!

A couple posts back, I mentioned the Phantom of the Opera and Ibuprofen story. I'm going to share it with you today:

I was living in Thatcher at the time in a studio apartment with my friend Rex. I'd just been stung by a scorpion, and my hand muscles were starting to ache. It wasn't really painful, but I wanted to help relax the muscles, so I took some Ibuprofen. Note: I HARDLY EVER take pills for pain. So when I do, they work in amazing (and sometimes strange) ways.

After taking my pill, I got started doing some dishes. I like to listen to music while I do housework, so I put in the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack that my sister had just made for me.

I think the combination of the scorpion venom and ibuprofen created a strange reaction. As I was standing there washing dishes, the song "Masquerade" came on. At the end, it transitions into the Phantom singing in a sad broken voice, all by himself with his little monkey music box playing -so terribly alone and not able to join in the celebration. I broke down. I started weeping like someone had died. I had to leave the sink and sit on my bed, cupping my face in my hands. All I could think was, "That poor Phantom!"
That's the moment when my psyche clued in and realized, "This is not normal."

I think of that experience every time I hear music from the Phantom of the Opera. And every time I take an ibuprofen. It still makes me laugh.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Oh man, did I ever need a good laugh and that TOTALLY did it!!! That is the best.

I hardly ever take pills, and I'm with you. The great thing about it is when I do take one, they work REALLY WELL. Almost too well. My body is just really sensitive to anything I put in it. Grandma is that way too, so I think it's prolly in our genes or suntheen or whatever.

Ju's graduation was tonight, and it was scrumtrulescent. She's still got my camera, but I was able to snag it for a few pictures. I'll post them soon.

You should know that I'm putting off renting "Bolt" until you get here.